Saturday, November 5, 2011

Jump, Stomp, and Roll with the Preschoolers

This week I led the autumn leaves class with the preschoolers. I modified the class slightly from the pre-k and kindergarten class. For the little ones, I called them up one at a time to jump over the leaves, stomp on the leaves, and the best part - roll over the leaves! It was really super cute and both preschool classes thought it hysterical when the leaves would stick to their own or their friend's clothes. Like the other classes, we ended with a leaf dance party.

Every time I do classes with the leaves, there is an overwhelming expression of joy when they are gathering up leaves and throwing them up in the air to music.

I remember in my neighborhood growing up, all the neighborhood kids would get together to rake leaf piles and then we would catapult ourselves into them. We would go from one backyard to another. I haven't jumped in a real leaf pile in probably over 20 years (sadly), but it is one of those joyful childhood experiences that stays with me. I think the child in me gets to come out and play with my students when we dance with the leaves and we all just feel, well, happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment