Friday, January 6, 2012

Creative Movement with the Toddlers

Yesterday I started Story Story Dance with two toddler classes. I find this age the most challenging because, at this age, they really do not care one bit what your agenda or schedule may be and their moods change ever so abruptly. So for me, it is especially rewarding when I can get toddlers engaged in these classes.

We read Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Bill Martin, Jr. and Eric Carle. I got this book and a stuffed animal brown bear on a recent visit to Kohl's. These and other children's books and toys are being sold there as part of the Kohl's Cares program which donates money from these special purchases for children's health and education. I read the story to the tots and for each animal, I asked the children what sound the animal makes and either offered, or let them come up with, a movement for each. After the story, I passed around the bear; each tot had a turn to hold the bear while we asked, Brown bear brown bear what do you see? The child with the bear got to tell us what to do.



This worked pretty good with the first group; apparently, all animals like to jump up and down, even fish! One student started braying like a donkey. So I said, "Oh! Donkey's like to kick," and they all started kicking their feet - it was too adorable! And when I asked them to wag their tails for the dog - again, so stinking cute! The teacher and I had to turn away with the biggest smiles because we were so overcome with the cuteness of it all. After reading the story to the second group, they just wanted the bear, forget acting anything out. So, I put on the dance music and passed the bear around.

Every small success is a big success with the toddlers. 




 

No comments:

Post a Comment