Saturday, October 22, 2011

Props and Inermodel Learning

I gathered and also made props to accompany my telling of the Little Old Lady Who Was Not Afraid of Anything by Linda Williams. Students will act out the appropriate movements that appear in the story and match the various props. I have doubles of everything that the little old lady encounters so that I can give more students more turns during our short time together - with a few exceptions. I found a pack of six plastic jack-o-lanterns, which also happen to look just like the one in the story. My husband sculpted one pair of shoes using air dry clay; it being a pair, two kids can get a turn at the same time. Missing from the photo is my little scarecrow on a stick that I found at a crafts store for the ending. I may go hunt down a second one, I haven't made up my mind yet. I also have a prop to represent the old lady, two adorable baskets. The top hats are wearable and the gloves are child sized. It is a little hard to tell in the photo, but the shirt sleeves and hems are also fringed like the pants. What can I say, my scarecrows dig fringe.

This is one of my favorite books to teach with. I love when authors choose language that invite movement. I want to capitalize on that in my Story Story Dance! classes. The props provide students with another opportunity to connect with language. This class incorporates tactile, kinetic, visual, and auditory learning experiences, which means increased chances of reaching more learners.

No comments:

Post a Comment