Thursday, December 9, 2010

Strut Your Stuff

With my fabulous new teaching prop - the 8 feet or so long rectangle stretch of curtain fabric - I created a game (although it may exist in another form under a different name) that I will now refer to as The Red Carpet. In this game, I lay out the long stretch of fabric. Each student has a turn to strut down the "red carpet" while their teachers (or whoever) pretend to be the paparazzi taking their photos. When they get to the end of the fabric, they turn back and strike a pose. This game was enhanced by the Bee Gees Staying Alive. Each student got a turn to strut down the red carpet however they wanted to. Some skipped, some ran, some went on all fours, and when they got to the end, they all struck a pose, even if it took a few trys. This game allows each student the opportunity to have a solo, to be creative in their own way, to have all the attention. I also got the teachers to take a walk down the red carpet, which of course the kids LOVED!

Note: In the space where I am teaching this preschool creative movement class, the floor is covered by a large square rug which is great for defining space and setting boundaries. It also holds the fabric in place. I would not do this game with this fabric on a smooth slippery floor.

No comments:

Post a Comment