Thursday, December 1, 2011

The Hip-Hop Dancing Firefighter

Its days like these that I feel so grateful to do what I do. I get to witness and experience these great moments and when they happen, all I can do is smile and fill-up with joy because I was there.

Today's story dance class was with the preschoolers. I read Eric Carle's From Head to Toe (also in book recommendations) As I read along, the little ones tried out the different moves in the story. After the story, I invited each student up one at at time. They could turn into anything they wanted and had to share a movement for the class. Then I would introduce them in the style of the book, "This is Princess Samantha and she can twirl. Can you?" Then everyone would twirl. Essentially, it is a mirroring game and they were super cute doing it. We had three firefighters, but one of the fire fighters was a hip-hopping firefighter (this was painfully cute, this kid was getting down!). We also had a student who was a  pumpkin that flapped up and down and made a silly noise, and there was also a very deliberate kitty cat that was more like a robot - this kid was committed to his sound and movement like I'd never seen. After everyone got a turn, I put on Groove Armada, and we had a dance party. I invited the kids to incorporate moves from the book and moves of their friends.

It was a pretty great class for everyone. The children's responses certainly had the teachers in smiles and all the kids moving. It was a joy!

No comments:

Post a Comment